Staying safe late at night or in the early hours of the morning
If you are out early in the morning or late at night, we recommend you do the following:
- Don’t walk home alone. Walk with a group of people as it makes you less of a target.
- Avoid taking risky shortcuts through back alleys, parks or areas that are not well lit.
- Wearing earphones is common practice these days and can make walks or jogging more entertaining. Earphones can reduce your alertness to your surroundings. For example, you may not hear someone walking up behind you until it is too late.
- If you’re carrying a bag make sure the clasp is facing inwards, all zips and pockets are closed. If your bag is snatched let it go, your safety is more important than your property.
- It’s always a good idea to let someone you know what your route will be including your final destination and estimated time of arrival. Check in with that person when you arrive and let them know you are okay.