Congratulations on becoming a new driver. Imagine the freedom; the places you’ll go! This is an exciting time for you, your family and friends.
You’re probably a little nervous as well. Don’t worry; it’s normal to feel thrilled and nervous at the same time. Your nerves can actually be a good thing to help keep you safe. To help prepare for this new responsibility, take this quick quiz with your parent(s), and yes it is okay to laugh and roll your eyes, if just a little bit. You have the power of driving, now be responsible.
1. I always wear my safety belt.
2. When I'm driving I keep an eye on what other drivers are doing.
3. I also keep an eye out for changing road and traffic conditions.
4. At intersections, I slow down and watch for traffic signs, signals and other drivers.
5. When all my friends want to pile in and ride with me at once, I tell them.
6. When I drive I keep my phone off.
7. I would never text while I'm driving.
8. If I'm out driving and I'm running late I pull over in a safe location and call my family.
If you selected the first answer each time then you’re already thinking like a smart, safe driver. For more, watch this movie about a role model father who teaches his daughter the importance of safe driving from a very young age.
Another great resource is the Network of Employers for Traffic Safety (NETS) Novice Drivers Road Map.
© Copyright Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc. 2018. All rights reserved.