We all know that roadway work zones mean delays to drivers passing through them.
The next time you start to get impatient in a work zone, take a deep breath and try to remember that both you and the people inside the work zone are at risk if you're not on your best driving behavior. Here are tips for driving through work zones safely.
In a work zone:
- Slow down.
- Maintain a safe following distance.
- Keep as much space as possible between your vehicle and the workers in the zone.
- Stay alert. This is not a good time for tuning the radio.
- Pay attention to signs and flaggers. They are there to protect drivers and workers alike.
- Expect delays. Once you're in the work zone, there's nothing you can do but be patient—and maybe start planning a different route for tomorrow.