When public transportation is your preferred mode of transportation, please keep these tips on personal security and fall prevention in mind.
Personal Security Tips
Staying aware at all times is the best line of defense. Pay attention to every thing that is going on around you.
- Prepare for your trip.
- Know your route ahead of time.
- Keep a map of the area close at hand.
- Keep yourself and your belongings safe.
- Keep your belongings close to you.
- Don’t wear or bring valuable items with you.
- Stay alert and awake.
- Don't become so engrossed in reading or listening to music that you become unaware of your environment.
- Be cautious of passengers causing a commotion. This could turn into a dangerous situation. It could also be staged to distract you.
Fall Prevention Tips
Areas around public transportation get a lot of foot traffic. Particularly in bad weather, public crews can't always keep up with the mess so much traffic creates. Slow down and watch for fall hazards in and around buses and commuter trains.
- Wear slip-resistant footwear.
- Don't run for the bus or train.
- Always walk up and down stairs and use handrails.
- Watch for obstacles and uneven surfaces.
- When standing on a bus, always use grab handles or bars.
- Never lean against a door on a train or a bus.